Read chapters 12-13 – FINISH FOR HOMEWORK
- Jem is now 12. There is a widening gap of understanding between Scout and Jem. Find and describe/list 2 or 3 examples which illustrate the emotional distance between them and include page numbers.
- Why wasn’t Dill able to come to Maycomb this summer?
- How do you explain Lula’s antagonism toward Jem and Scout?
- Scout finds the church service to be similar to her own except for a few differences. Explain what these are.
- Why does Cal speak one way around colored people and another way around white people? Is she being honest or hypocritical in what she does? Explain.
- Why does Aunt Alexandra come to stay with Atticus and his family?
- Read the first 2 statements of Alexandra’s when she comes to the Finch house. Are these typical of her or not?
- Why does Aunt Alexandra fit in so well in Maycomb County?
- Compare and Contrast Aunt Alexandra and Atticus on the following: involvement in Maycomb County, views on family and breeding, views on childrearing
- Discuss Cousin Joshua Finch as: Atticus describes him and as Aunt Alexandra describes him. Explain the difference in opinion.