SNEEZE 4/23 – complete the story…7 minutes
You go to the store with your parents and baby brother. Your parents go into a store and tell you to watch your brother. You take your eyes off your brother for just a minute and you can’t find him. You…
Jigsaw Activity – LOTF Unit Student Resources two articles starting on page 79
One person: Leader (reads and encourages)
One person: Note taker
One person/two people: Annotate in margins
One person: dunderlines concepts or words that require further exploration
- Look up words or concepts that are unclear
- What is the article communicating?
- Discuss how you will teach this information to the other group – rehearse
- Create three questions for understanding that we will ask the class as a whole at the end (these questions were turned into a quiz while they went to their teaching group…they took the quiz as a survival group and life points were deducted based on score)
Write one bullet point per page summing up what happened in that page. This may be on post-its OR on a separate piece of paper.
Check Homework – assign the rest of chapter 4, one note per page
Lord of the Flies – Pre-Reading Questions
- Describe a location or situation that would be paradise for you.
- Given the fact the Lord of the Flies is a survival story, what plot elements might you expect to find?
- Do you think people need rules, or would society be a better place if people were allowed to do whatever they wanted? Explain.
- What qualities do you think are necessary to be a good leader?
- If you were stranded on a tropical island, what do you think would be the greatest threat to your survival? How might you meet this threat?
- Think of a real-life survival story about a person or persons who survived in an isolated area. What kept them alive? What were their greatest challenges? Did they survive because of their skills, luck, or both?
- Do you see yourself as a survivor? What qualities, if any might you bring to a group stranded in the wilderness?
- At what age do you think young people are old enough to make their own decisions without adult supervision? Why?
- In your opinion, what are the characteristics of a civilized society? What are the drawbacks and advantages of a civilized society?
Groups of 8:
- 3 places/situations
- 3 plot elements/events
- 3 qualities
- 3 threats
- 3 challenges
- 3 survivor qualities
- Age concensus
- 3 characteristics AND 2 drawbacks AND 2 advantages